Posted by on Jun 2, 2015 in Hardware
| Comments Off
The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 can connect to most TVs wirelessly. You just need the right equipment. Here are three different options you can use.
Option 1 – Miracast
This option allows you to mirror any screen on your device wirelessly.
- If you do not have a smart TV that supports Miracast, purchase one of the following items, and connect it to an available HDMI port on your TV.
- Amazon Fire TV box
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Miracast Video Adapter
- Samsung Smart TV with Miracast support
- Any other device that supports Miracast and connects to your TV
- Ensure your TV or device is setup and ready to receive video.
- Connect your TV to the Note 5 by swiping down the notification bar at the top of the screen and selecting “Quick Connect” > device > “Play/view content” > device name > “Video” > “Done“.
Option 2 – Chromecast
This option also allows you to mirror any screen on your device wirelessly.
At the time of this writing, Chromecast does not support mirroring. Though it is planned for the future. You can only use certain apps with Chromecast.
- If you do not have a smart TV that supports Chromecast purchase a Chromecast adapter and connect it to the HDMI port on your TV.
- Ensure the Chromecast and Note 5 are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Install the Chromecast app on the Note 5.
- Follow the wizard to setup your device with your TV.
- Open an app that supports Chromecast, then choose the “Cast” button from within the app.
Option 3 – DLNA
This option allows devices to read files from your Note 5 wirelessly, but it does not allow mirroring.
- Connect your Note 5 to the same Wi-Fi network as your DLNA device (TV, computer, gaming console, etc).
- From the Note 5, select “Settings” > “More” > “Nearby devices“.
- Turn the “Nearby devices switch” to “On“.
- From the “Advanced” area, select “Content to share“.
- Check one or more of the following:
- From the “Advanced” section, select “Allowed devices“
- Choose devices that are allowed to share media with.
How do I connect my Note 5 to an older analog CRT television?
You will need to purchase an HDMI to RCA adapter to convert the signal to work with the RCA ports on your older TV.
If you have any questions or find discrepancies with this post, please share in the comments section below.
What about using an MHL adapter?
The Note 5 does not support using an MHL adapter.
This post applies to the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 model SM-N920.
Posted by on May 2, 2015 in Hardware
| Comments Off
Learn how to soft reset your HTC One M9 if it is not responding to commands, or hard reset the device to set it back to factory default settings.
A soft reset will simply reset your device in the event that it has become frozen or non-responsive. It will not erase data from the device.
- Press and hold the “Volume Up” and “Power” button simultaneously until the device powers off. Once powered off, press and hold “Power” for 3 seconds to turn the device back on.
Hard Reset From Settings
- Open “Settings“.
- Choose “Backup & reset“.
- If desired, select the option to “Erase SD card“.
- Select “Reset phone“.
- Select “OK“.
Hard Reset From Startup
- Turn the phone off by pressing and holding the “Power” button for 3 seconds, then selecting “Power off“.
- Press and hold the “Volume Down” button and press release the “Power” button to turn the M9 on.
- When the HTC logo appears, release both buttons.
- Press “Volume Down” to select “Factory Reset“, then press the “Power” button to choose it.
The HTC One M9 will then restart and the hard reset will be complete.
Posted by on Apr 2, 2015 in Hardware
| Comments Off
I recently had a problem where videos were taking up space on my Apple iPhone and I could not delete them. They would show up in iTunes under my “Movies” and “TV Shows” area. No option appeared to delete these videos. I had to find the option to allow me to remove them.
Delete Videos Showing in iTunes
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer and open iTunes.
- Select the icon for your device in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- In the “Settings” section, select “Summary” on the left pane.
- Check the “Manually manage music and videos” selection.
- You will now have an option to “Delete” when right-clicking on any item under “Movies” or “TV Shows” in the “On My Device” section.
Delete Videos Showing On Device
If you still have videos showing in the “Videos” app on your device and they aren’t showing in iTunes, you may have the option to “Show iTunes Purchases” enabled under “Settings” > “Videos“.
Posted by on Mar 2, 2015 in Hardware
| Comments Off
Soft reset your Motorola Atrix HD if it is frozen and not responding. Hard reset your Motorola Atrix smartphone if you wish to wipe all data from the device. There are a couple of ways to accomplish a hard reset. One uses the menus, the other uses hardware buttons. Here’s how it’s done.
A soft reset will not wipe data from the device.
- Press and hold the “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons simultaneously for about 15 seconds until the device turns off. You should then be able to power it back on as normal.
Hard Reset Method 1
If you can access the Android OS menus on the phone, this option is preferred.
- Go to “Settings“.
- Select “Privacy“.
- Tap “Factory data reset“.
- Select “Reset phone“.
- Tap “Erase everything“.
The Atrix will then finish the hard reset process.
Hard Reset Method 2
If your phone has issues and won’t boot normally, this is the option to use.
- With the phone off, press and hold the “Volume Down” and “Power buttons” at the same time.
- A “Fastboot” screen should appear. Press “Volume Down” to navigate to the “Android Recovery” selection.
- Press “Volume Up“.
- A yellow triangle and Android logo will appear. Push the “Volume Up” and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. You may have to try this a few times until the recovery screen appears.
- Tap “wipe data/factory reset” then tap “OK‘.
- Tap “Yes” then “OK“.
- The Atrix will take a moment to perform the factory reset. When completed, select “reboot system now” then tap “OK“.
This will clear all internal memory on the phone. SD card data is preserved, so if you’re transferring ownership of the phone or sending it back to the store, you may want to format the SD card as well. You can do so under “Settings” > “SD card & phone storage“.
Posted by on Feb 2, 2015 in Hardware
| Comments Off
If your Droid Maxx becomes unresponsive, it may be time to soft reset or hard reset the device. A soft reset basically just “reboots” the device, while a hard reset (or factory reset) wipes most data to start clean. If your Droid Maxx is just locked up, it’s always best to start with a soft reset first before starting clean.
How to Soft Reset the Droid Maxx
- To Soft Rest your Droid Maxx, simply hold down the “Power” button for about seven to ten seconds. At this point, the device should simply shut off. Press the “Power” button again to turn it back on.
How to Hard Reset the Droid Maxx from the Phone Menu
If your phone is still functional, try using these steps to perform a hard reset.
This will return the phone to factory settings, removing any accounts and files that are on the phone, so make sure to backup any data before doing this.
- Press your “Apps” button and go to “Settings“.
- Press “Backup & Reset“.
- Press “Factory Data Reset“.
- Press “Reset Phone“.
How to Hard Reset the Droid Maxx Using Hardware Buttons
If your phone isn’t functioning at all, you’ll probably have to perform a hard reset using buttons on the phone.
- Turn the device off completely by holding down the “Power” button for about seven to ten seconds.
- With the device turned off, press and hold the “Volume Down” button and the “Power” button for 2-3 seconds, and then release both buttons at the same time.
- Use the volume down button to scroll to “Recovery” and press the “Volume Up” button to select. Note that if you wait too long on this screen, the phone will reboot automatically and you’ll have to try start over. If you selected Recovery properly, you should see the Motorola logo and then the Android “distress” logo.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button for 10-15 seconds, and then while still holding the volume up button, press and then release the power button.
- Use the “Volume Down” button to scroll down to “Wipe Data/ Factory Reset” and press the Power button to select.
- Use the “Volume Down” button to scroll to “Yes” and press the “Power” button to select.
- After the phone performs the factory reset, you’ll press the “Power” button to confirm a reboot.
After this sequence, the phone will reboot and will be back to the factory defaults.